This module provides all the general background information that someone interested in entering the dog-training and behaviour world will need as a foundation to work from and leading towards practical experience as you are encouraged to observe and participate in training classes and study trainers and their methods as well as the dogs they work with whilst undertaking this module.
You will gain an insight into dog psychology, dog training, canine behaviour observation skills, understanding human / canine theoretical & practically based relationships and why dogs do what they do!
You will study and learn from our own experts, frontline practitioners of dog behaviour and training. With theory merged with the real-world of practical dog training, in a way that no course material anywhere else achieves, you will learn to understand the domestic dog’s mind.
Discover the real truth about the connection between dogs and wolves with experts who work hands-on with both wolves and dogs on a day-to-day basis
- Study how, where and when domestication occurred
- Study breed groups and research the origins of your chosen breed
- Learn the basics of grooming, care & maintenance
- Study diet & nutrition and how to keep your dog both physically and mentally stimulated
- Learn how to shape behaviour and nurture a well-balanced dog
- Learn about equipment – why there are so many options on the market and what their features and benefits are for specific dogs, owners and behaviours
- Observe approaches to training using different methodologies
- Study and evaluate training methods
- Study and observe canine body language
- Interview dog owners
- Problem solve unwanted behaviour
- Analyse the causes and contributing factors to a dog’s behaviour
- Study Leadership Theory and common leadership practices
- Learn important people skills, to include how to motivate change
- Advise dog owners on what breed might best suit them
- Provide puppy advice to owners
Write a final essay on Understanding Canine Care & Behaviour
Breakdown of your studies:
Phase 1 (Distance Learning)
Will involve research and study of canine domestication, origins, breed groups, and breed study
- Personal experience with dogs
- Domestication theories
- Canine origins
- Breed group identification
- Breed specific study
Phase 2 (Distance Learning)
Will involve research and study of canine physiology, anatomy, grooming, maintenance, diet and general care, and canine communication
- Canine physiology & anatomy
- Grooming, maintenance, care, diet and nutrition requirements
- Pet dog behaviour
- Canine body language & posturing
Phase 3 (Distance Learning)
Will involve the research and study of dog training equipment and methods
- DVD learning systems working with dogs and clients
- Training equipment
- Training methods
Phase 4 (Distance Learning)
Will involve the research and study of dominance in dogs and leadership theories
- Leadership theories understanding the dogs mind
- Interviews and analysis
- Problem solving
- Owner advice
- Final essay
Student feedback for this course can be read in the column on the right.
Tutor for this Course
Slide right or left for more views
This course costs £425. Payment can be made with PayPal (you do not need to be a member). You can pay direct to our bank, our banking details will be shown at the checkout, they will also be emailed to you if you choose this option. You can also pay by cheque, again details are shown at the checkout and emailed to you.
Your tutor for this course is Diane Kunas.
This is a distance learning course which has four phases, there are no workshops to attend.
This course needs to be completed within six months. Extensions can be granted under exceptional circumstances.
On passing this course you will be mailed a physical certificate of pass. Please ensure we have your correct postal address.
This course is approved by the PETbc