The advanced course is the first in Britain that has a one day dog handling workshop, advancing your knowledge of theory including law.
A behaviour section introduces you to general dog behaviour problems that you may encounter and deal with when a new dog is not quite what you might expect. Without doubt you will learn and be prepared for an enjoyable occupation, or simply verify your current status as a knowledgeable dog carer in and outside your clients’ homes.
Upon completion of the module you will understand responsibilities and pet handling skills, dog handling and walking, meeting breeds of dogs and learning basic handling and instruction skills.
Phase 1 (Home Study)
This phase includes:
- Pet sitting theory advanced
- Law, the implications for you and your responsibilities
- Dog walking equipment – rapid use in emergencies common behaviour problems you may encounter with the dogs you walk or dogs you may meet in public places.
- Dog spotting friend or foe – a behavioural assessment of oncoming dogs
- Dog handling and observations skills
- Canine communication and why you should know what to look for
- Personal health and safety
- Your business and your clients, how to get the best from both.
Phase 2 (Home Study)
This phase offers a moderate advanced understanding of the dogs mind and moreover it looks at established dog behaviour in the home that sometimes you find difficult to cope with. Outside the home is obviously a greater challenge, dogs become active and inquisitive, this is their time and they need watching just like small children and we are responsible for their behaviour and actions in a public place.
- Cat behaviour in general in and outside the home.
- Care for Cats and other pets.
- Your limitations as a handler, carer and owner.
- Transportation of other peoples pets, safely and within the law.
- Understanding your local by-laws and how they affect your business.
- Further business development – An overview of business and marketing techniques to increase trade and establishing a successful business that puts pets first.
Phase 3 (Workshop) (See ‘Workshop Date’ below)
The CIDBT provide the only workshop for dog walking in Britain. This workshop is a relaxed, fun day covering basic dog handing and dog training techniques; most importantly, you get a chance to put into practice some theories you’ve learned in Phases 1 and 2.
This phase includes:
- General and safety briefings
- Observation of human and canine body language
- Hands-on work with dogs and people
- Basic dog handling
- Attending a basic dog training class
- One-to-one and group activities for peer discussion
The workshop is held at the Kennel Club Building. Lunch is provided and refreshments are provided throughout the day. There are 2 dates for workshops per year and you will be working alongside other students from a similar module.
Tutor for this Course
This course costs £395. Payment can be made with PayPal (you do not need to be a member). You can pay direct to our bank, our banking details will be shown at the checkout, they will also be emailed to you if you choose this option. You can also pay by cheque, again details are shown at the checkout and emailed to you.
The next available workshop date for this course will be Saturday 22nd September 2018 at the Kennel Club Building, Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire, CV8 2LZ
Your tutor for this course will be Vicky Lawes
This is a Home Study and workshop course consisting of three phases, you will need to submit work online and will be expected to attend the one day workshop at the Kennel Club Education centre in Stoneleigh, Warwickshire.
This course needs to be completed within six months. Extensions can be granted under exceptional circumstances.
On passing this course you will be mailed a physical certificate of pass. Please ensure we have your correct postal address.
This course is approved by the PETbc