This course is all about the ‘art’ of walking dogs and running a business from doing just that. Combined with a little touch of day care and home boarding, together with introducing you to the world of our feline friends and other small pets.
This course is aimed at the dog enthusiast who is looking to make a living from looking after other people’s pets. Looking after peoples dogs can be most rewarding and is one of the fastest growing occupations in Britain today, as laws change it is essential that you have a qualification that demonstrates your ability to care for clients’ pets in a responsible way. It is designed to teach you how to start your own dog walking business, looking at the do’s and don’ts of meeting and handling other peoples pets through to the fundamentals of running a business.
The emphasis is on the beginner dog walker/pet sitter although will be useful for those already running a business who may require a more in-depth look at what they are doing with a view to changing and improving.
Spread over three phases you’ll learn about things such as understand how to set up a pet sitting business and your legal responsibilities, critical elements of dog handling, dog walking, day care and home boarding, insurance cover requirements, national laws and local by-laws relating to dogs.
The module can be undertaken at any time and over any reasonable period within a maximum of six months from the date of registration.
Phase 1 (Home Study)
- Understanding basic canine communication
- Learn handling and observation skills
- Investigate some of the triggers for dog aggression
- Examine breed characteristics of different dogs
- Canine etiquette
- Characteristics of dogs in a group and inter pack relationships
Phase 2 (Home Study)
- Examine the general principles, procedures and safety requirements when walking and boarding clients dogs
- Understand more about the risks and how to manage potential dangers when walking and boarding dogs
- Local by-laws relating to dog walking
- Dog Law elements appertaining to the Dog Walker
- Dog law elements being in charge of a dog in public or private places
- Training and handling equipment essentials
- Prevention of losing a dog in a public place (security checks before the walk)
- The doggy extras – owners requests
- All weather dog walking in Britain’s climate
Phase 3 (Home Study)
- Examine routine care for cats
- Learn the characteristics of different cat breeds
- Protocol for meeting a new dog and client
- Understand the business basics for setting up and running a successful dog walking/boarding & pet sitting business.
- Pet Sitting and/or Dog Walking marketing and basic book-keeping
- Insurance legalities
- Other domestic pets
- Understanding what is expected from a pet sitter & dog walker
Tutor for this Course
Slide right or left for more views
This course costs £295. Payment can be made with PayPal (you do not need to be a member). You can pay direct to our bank, our banking details will be shown at the checkout, they will also be emailed to you if you choose this option. You can also pay by cheque, again details are shown at the checkout and emailed to you.
Your tutor for this course is Vicky Lawes.
This is a Home Study course which has three phases, there are no workshops to attend.
This course needs to be completed within six months. Extensions can be granted under exceptional circumstances.
On passing this course you will be mailed a physical certificate of pass. Please ensure we have your correct postal address.
This course is approved by the PETbc