This Course is all about puppies and more specifically the Puppy and its new owner; as trainers ensuring that we help the psychological and physiological development and creating a manageable, confident and well-behaved adult dog starting with the little individual that we have to work with is paramount. We look at advising on selecting a breed, a breeder, breed specific health tests, early puppy temperament testing, how puppies behave when they arrive in the home, how puppies learn and most of all what puppies need to develop into the best dog that they can.
This course is aimed at the canine professional who wants to increase their knowledge in the wonderful world of dogs, puppies and canine development. Learning how to assist clients to achieve the very best that they can…whether that client owns a Basset Fauve De Bretagne or an American Akita or is in the early stages of selecting a breed for their family and their lifestyle.
Whilst many believe that when embarking on a career in dog training and behaviour that puppy training is the first step on that road, actually puppy classes are one of the most important stages in a dogs’ life and if these are not run effectively and with a great deal of knowledge and expertise, the long-term ramifications can be huge. Owners are often new and are solely reliable on you as their trainer to give them the best advice. Running puppy classes should not be for the beginner or inexperienced, trainers need a high level of skill to set these little individual puppies and their owners off to the very best start.
Spread over three phases you’ll learn about things such as how to locate and recommend suitable breeders and what to look for within a litter depending on requirements, health testing, temperament inheritance, the critical periods of temperament development, breed specific socialisation, feeding and of course that so important early puppy obedience training, response conditioning, and much, much more.
Phase 1 (Home Study)
- Involves the research and study of selecting a breed, a breeder, breed specific health tests, early puppy temperament testing, what to look for and how to advise.
- The best way to bring a puppy home. Introducing your puppy to resident pets and visa versa!
- Transporting your puppy.
- Conditioning your puppy to household sights and sounds and vaccinations.
Phase 2 (Home Study)
- Involves the research and study of socialisation – assessing the breed and the individual that you see.
- Crates, Cages, Dens and Myths.
- Toilet training.
- Toys, Treats and Play.
- Alone time and preventing Separation Anxiety.
Phase 3 (Home Study)
- Involves the research and study of assessing the individual dog and planning ahead.
- Training and behaviour – what is this difference?
- Obedience training – home and classes.
- Trouble shooting – jumping up, mouthing, chewing.
- Disciplines – what is there available to do with your adolescent dog now you have him.
Tutor for this Course
This course costs £325. Payment can be made with PayPal (you do not need to be a member). You can pay direct to our bank, our banking details will be shown at the checkout, they will also be emailed to you if you choose this option. You can also pay by cheque, again details are shown at the checkout and emailed to you.
Your tutor for this course is Vicky Lawes.
This is a Home Study course which has three phases, there are no workshops to attend.
This course needs to be completed within six months. Extensions can be granted under exceptional circumstances.
On passing this course you will be mailed a physical certificate of pass. Please ensure we have your correct postal address.
This course is approved by the PETbc